My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Some people are jerks

Wow. I knew that things were harsher, faster, go go go in Toronto....but what happened Friday was a rude-awakening.

For the past week, I've been developing a resume/dvd kit to hand out to design firms here. By Friday I was confident enough to start hitting the streets again. I set out with 5 places in mind. By 2:30, with the 4th kit delivered, I made my way up to Dupont and Bathurst to go to the last stop.

Well, I get to the office on this insanely cold day and find this very nice girl there (she's not the bad part of this story). I ask mention I heard that there was a design position open. She responded saying, "no, I'm afraid not, there is a production manager position open". Now, on this I was mistaken, but a bit confused I asked her if I could check my iBook to verify the job opening. She said fine, and went on to her work.

I then sat down and begain opening the email with the job postings. It was indeed a production manager position. While looking I heard some conversation in the open office area involving the girl and another guy that was sitting there. It sounded like concern and later I clued in that it was him asking her "what was up?"

1 second more ladies and gentelmen. 1 second more and I would have closed my iBook and left to go meet up with my friend. But instead what happened was that this guy bolted over to me and curtly asked "may I help you?" Well.....I had already established any help I needed with the woman before. And I was concerned about this guy's attitude. To say that he was about to throw me out the window wouldn't be an understatement. I then mentioned that I was just checking my email to verify the job opening. He then said "I don't appreciate some guy off the street coming in and opening up his iBook".

Well...at that point, I was thinking.....this guy was way too paranoid. I then started walking out noticing that this guy had his back up and was furious. I said "that's alright, I don't want to work here anyway, you seem very rude"

Annnnnd that's my story.

Now my friend Rod and I were going over why he may have been such a dick. We both agreed in the end that he was just that.....a dick.

Now granted, he may have been concerned about "hacking" into his system...which I doubt because if he was so concerned with that he would have had the wireless password protected. No....I was simply taking a second to verify my facts before heading out, and he was incredibly rude.

Luckily the first 4 weren't like that. They were all very nice and one place even sat down with me and went over my DVD. He seemed very interested and I'll email him thanking for taking the time. As Rod said, it's too bad that the last one had to be met with such an asshole.

Comments on "Some people are jerks"

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:24 p.m.) : 

paranoid asshole. what was the companies name?

 

Blogger Jason said ... (5:10 p.m.) : 

yah....strange stuff man. Oh well. The good thing is I saw how much of a dick he was before giving him my resume.

 

post a comment